Tuesday, April 14, 2009

From the words of Ms. Yamagata - "Permission to Obsess"

Don't file a restraining order just yet...but still, as much as I liked Rachael Yamagata avant the concert...that love has grown exponentially post concert. She made my New York. I know...most of her music is dark and dreary..but her personality is certainly not. She was charming. I was charmed. She was witty, flirty with the audience, interesting...everything you could ask for. She was completely comfortable making fun of herself so it just made for an enjoyable, at-ease kind of show. It is always fun to hear the stories behind the songs and she was really light about the whole song development process. Her songs clearly pack a wallop, but that's where she seems to put it, into the songs. When she was describing the evolution of "Elephants" she joked about it along the way for the sake of keeping things from getting too deep and awkward (just a little bit deep)...and then concluded, "I don't know....It could be a load of s--- anyway. You tell me." And really...if you think "Elephants" is beautiful and moving via recording...you should experience it live. It was incredible. You will be changed, and that is a promise. I wont go into detail for fear of entering realms of clique-ness..but I will leave you with on word -- "raw".They did some incredible instrumentals, too. They incorporated a mini-trumpet, clarinet, cello and did some funky work with the guitar that I really liked.

Co-preforming was Dan Wilson. Never heard of him previously, sorry to say. Apparently he recently earned himself a Grammy, so go him. He was pretty funny as well and his music was not too shabby. For the most part, since the concert I have been listening to his song "Sugar" on repeat. The lyrics are grand.

So, to say the least it was a very intoxicating experience...both because of the exceptional music and the thick smell of wine in the air. Not complaining about either.

3 comments:

Ch_d R_gers said...

Dan Wilson was the lead in Semisonic and is good. Rachel Yamagata is awesome. Reason Why. Worn Me Down...

Maggie Mae said...

Oh my...that makes so much more sense as to why they closed with the song "Closing Time". I just assumed that it was because it really was closing time.

Dana said...

I'm so happy you got to go! I love good live music!! Yes, I'm still up at 3am. I just finished my taxes online. Yay me!!