Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Je Blague

Combien des boulons sont dans la Tour Eiffel? (How many bolts are in the Eiffel Tower?)


Just un bout long! (Just one long point!)

An old man in Le Jardin du Luxembourg told a group of us that joke.  He loved it.  He was just dying laughing.  Aah...it kills me.  I love the French.  I don't know what people are talking about...they are hyper (pron. "ee-père" et pas "Hi-per".) cool.  


I'm telling you, they are very, very nice.  Maybe on the inside they think "stupid American"...but even still, they are kind enough to keep it to themselves and I appreciate that.  B
ut really, absolute strangers will go out of their way, even if they're obviously in a hurry, to stop and help you.  I've seen it many a time.  Je blague pas, and I have only been here a week.  One time I was in the metro and there was a girl having trouble with her metro pass.  There was also a lady who passed through at the same time and you could see in her face she was in a hurry.  The lady was absolutely torn between whether to help this person get into the station or reach her deadline.  The lady paused three times to check and make sure the girl was ok, and on the third time, she turned around and helped the girl, who was clearly a tourist, get into the metro.  It wasn't her job to help at all and she was not bothered to do it either.  Afterwards she gracefully said "Je vous en prie" and was on her way.  I was very impressed.  


(Notre Dame - It didn't click that Notre Dame means Our Woman until I came here. I guess I'm not always what you would call quick.)

Also, I am very grateful for how patient the French are with people learning the language (i.e - ME).  They are very encouraging.  If you don't know or aren't sure how to say something they say, "Well, just try".  And if you don't get it right, they correct you, but in a kind and respectful way.  So what I am trying to say is the experience is certainly worth it, even considering the pee filled subways and dog dropping filled streets.  

2 comments:

POM Beasley said...

I love it. Keep it coming.

Lisa Maria said...

i didn't catch the notre dame thing either. this reminds me of that one time when i found out what Kay jewlers meant when they said, "every kiss begins with kay". K-iss.