Friday, March 6, 2009

Or WORSE...EXPELLED

Learning French pays off beaucoup.  One of the best ways is when you are reading a journal ("jour" means "day" in French) article or a book and it has French words.  Immediately makes me feel brainy.  Well, yesterday in my French class, I learned some tres cool info about one of the most important literary works of our time: 'Arry Potta'!

Apparently He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named has been going by a French title all this time, while I was completely unawares.  It fits his very sneaky nature.  Let's break it down.  Vol*de*mort.  

Vol = flight
de = of
mort = DEATH

Put it all together, Voldemort  = Flight of Death! (DUM, Dum, dum) Absolutely shocking!

Another French root in Harry Potter comes from Harry Potter's own Hogwarts alma mater: Griffindor.  Or should I say "griffin d'or", which means "golden griffin".  Brilliant JKR.

P.S.  Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince comes out just after mon anniversaire.  If anyone wants to take me, I would say "yes".  And if said person wanted to go to the midnight showing, I would, again, say "yes".  If you think that you are too cool for a night with Harry, watch this and maybe you will change your mind.  I am sure you will.




6 comments:

POM Beasley said...

it looks like a good one it does.

Dana said...

tres interesanche. That's my attempt at "very interesting" in French. Was I even close?

Jerai Moulton said...

Thanks for the insight, very interesting! Can't wait for July!!

Maggie Mae said...

Presque, le mot est "interesante".

Jana said...

If you fly to where ever I am I will absolutely be your said person and take you to a midnight showing. Chances are we'll have to invite Ben along too, though, with him having the same anniversaire and all.

Lisa Maria said...

this post just made my day. que magnifico.