Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Diamond Dogs

I would like to introduce Cornwallis....sometimes know as Wallace by the sensitive, patriotic crowd...and sometimes WALL.E by the Pixar Animation fans (you go Kate!). It does not really matter what you call him, he pretty much comes by whatever. The day before Christmas my parents adopted Walls, and thank goodness. The boy was seriously hurting for a home and we are on friendly terms with the K9 kind so Walls and the Beasley fam. made a great match. He is very smart and I attribute his savvy to his gypsy upbringing. His old owners were homeless, I am sorry but I can't compete with that, and they raised him right. His manners are impeccable. I am telling you this so that you will 1st) Adopt from the pound and 2nd) Try to get one raised by homeless people. No joke, homeless people take excellent care of there dogs and are always with them so what else do they do with their time...train them. And naturally...when you are living nomad style...you get really well socialized with all kinds of crowds. So Walls loves to be loved and give love. He comes when he's called, sits, stays, lays and best of all when you says "shake"...he roles over. Someone played a sick joke on him and he doesn't even know it.Walls is clearly what I like to call...an awesome dog. He came from a shelter (Red Bluff) that euthanizes the animals when things get crowded. Unfortunately, it is one of those times where the shelter is crowded and a few other really awesome dogs are on DEATH ROW...the worst, I know... so I am going to give them a plug and hopefully they will not meet a terrible fate. Seeing as I don't live in CA at the moment...all I can do for the dogs is guilt you into giving them a home...or adopting them and then transferring them to a no-kill shelter...which I don't encourage...but might under certain circumstances.

But here they are...in all their man's-best-friend glory:

This belle dame is Carmen. She is a Pharoah Hound mix. I saw her at the shelter when we picked up Walls and she was as neat looking in person as she is in this picture. She was cool as a cucumber even though all the other dogs were peer-pressuring her to throw herself at the sides of her cage wildly and bark madly. She is 41 elle-bees (AKA lbs.) and she likes to chase tennis balls. What kind of dog doesn't? I guess that makes her "the dog next door" type.
Then to the right we have HOMER. I don't know much about him except that he looks really, really cool. He also weighs in at 69 lbs and he too like tennis balls (GET OUT! followed by Elaine Benes shove) Red Bluff pound reports that he, "wiggles with happiness." Now, and be honest with yourself, can you say "no" to a dog who wiggles with happiness? Don't deny yourself that satisfaction.

Enfin, here we have Jimmy...he's a 60 pound package of what Red Bluff pound says is a "fun loving, springy step, goofy boy" and he likes to "frolic". Their words, not mine.

If you are wondering where the Red Bluff pound is, I have that information as well. It is located right in between, and in the same parking lot as, the Mental Health Center and the Juvenile Detention Center. You will find that Red Bluff is a go-get-'em kind of town that really likes to multitask and part of the multitasking is grouping together all life's misfits into one parking lot...they are easier to manage that way. And since I am part of the trophy generation I don't wont to hurt anyone's feelings so I will add, "Don't worry. We are all misfits...and this world is our parking lot."

And if you think I am making up this despair, you should note that in the pictures, all the dogs are wearing the same leash. They can only afford one leash! Breaks my little heart...and Jimmy is the only one with a collar because he was surrendered with it. Too sad...

1 comment:

POM Beasley said...

I'll be heading out with Dad's truck as soon as he gets home and free all of Wall-E's old roommates and filling up our 25 acres with the canine persuasion. The Red Bluff pound should put you on the payroll as their PR girl. You're good. I'm tempted to email them your post.